[CCWG-ACCT] Minority Statements

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Aug 1 15:57:45 UTC 2015

Ed, I believe that I was the first one to make a strong statement
that abstentions should be excluded from the vote. As few of us
worked VERY hard to come up with a vote-counting methodology that did
that and at the same time did not allow a very small part of the
community (the ones who "care" about the issue) to make momentous
decisions on behalf of ICANN.

We did arrive at some scenarios that were acceptable from the point
of view of outcomes, but that were difficult to implement and perhaps
more importantly to explain. In addition to the simple Yes vs No
count that you allude to, it involved parallel requirements for a
minimum number of SO/ACs to support the proposition (and that support
was absolute, only counting Yes votes vs the maximum that could be
cast), and perhaps requiring a minimum number of non-sbstention votes
to be cast. As I said, it might work, but would be a black-box and
completely opaque method to those who did not take the time to
thoroughly understand it.

If you can come up with a simple, clear way of doing it, please propose one.

Alan