[CCWG-ACCT] IANA Contract Extended

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Aug 18 17:43:15 UTC 2015

For what it's worth, I do not believe that there is any impact on our
timeline at all. We should still finalise our proposal for WS1 for Dublin
and be implementing shortly thereafter.

It is all the things that happen after which require the contract
extension... Particularly the 5mth U.S. Govt review and approval process...

On Tuesday, 18 August 2015, Malcolm Hutty <malcolm at linx.net> wrote:

> "Accordingly, in May we asked the groups developing the transition
> documents how long it would take to finish and implement their
> proposals.  After factoring in time for public comment, U.S. Government
> evaluation and implementation of the proposals, the community estimated
> it could take until at least September 2016 to complete this process. In
> response to their feedback, we informed Congress on Friday that we plan
> to extend our IANA contract with ICANN for one year to September 30,
> 2016. Beyond 2016, we have options to extend the contract for up to
> three additional years if needed.
>
> This one-year extension will provide the community with the time it
> needs to finish its work. The groups are already far along in planning
> the IANA transition and are currently taking comments on their IANA
> transition proposals. As we indicated in a recent Federal Register
> notice, we encourage all interested stakeholders to engage and weigh in
> on the proposals."
>  -- Extract, NTIA statement 2015-08-17 (yesterday)
>     http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/update-iana-transition
>
> In the light of this announcement, do we still think we are done?
> Or does the extra time give us the opportunity to improve our proposal
> further?
>
> Malcolm.
> --
>             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
>    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog
>  London Internet Exchange | http://publicaffairs.linx.net/
>
>                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
>            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY
>
>          Company Registered in England No. 3137929
>        Trinity Court, Trinity Street, Peterborough PE1 1DA

Jordan Carter
Chief Executive, InternetNZ

+64-21-442-649 | jordan at internetnz.net.nz

Sent on the run, apologies for brevity