[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Bylaws Drafting Process

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Wed Aug 19 16:59:20 UTC 2015

Dear all,
Staff sent this email on behalf of the Chairs. This email will also be
forward to the external legal counsel.

From:  Grace Abuhamad <grace.abuhamad at icann.org>
Date:  Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM
To:  John Jeffrey <john.jeffrey at icann.org>
Cc:  León Felipe Sánchez Ambía <leonfelipe at sanchez.mx>, Thomas Rickert
<thomas at rickert.net>, Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr>, Theresa
Swinehart <theresa.swinehart at icann.org>, Alice Jansen
<alice.jansen at icann.org>
Subject:  Bylaws Drafting Process

Sending on behalf of the CCWG-Accountability co-Chairs

Dear John Jeffrey,

We hereby wish to notify you that you may proceed, in coordination with our
external counsel, with drafting language to include the AoC reviews into
ICANN Bylaws, as defined by the CCWG-Accountability and in line with the
agreed-upon process (see attached for full reference).

The language should reflect the enhancements the CCWG-Accountability has
identified in its second draft proposal (see section 9 p.72). As we said
before, kindly note that this effort should be conducted in collaboration
with the CCWG-Accountability's external legal counsel. They have been
instructed to work with you on this effort, including an independent review
if necessary.

Once an initial draft has been put together, a CCWG-Accountability subgroup
will be formed to verify that the proposed language meets the specifics of
our second proposal.

Both ICANN and the CCWG-Accountability legal counsel will be invited to
participate in this subgroup. The CCWG-Accountability subgroup will examine
the advice received, adjust as needed, and will share its work product with
the full CCWG-Accountability and ICANN Board.

The decision to include the Bylaws changes into the proposal and to submit
for Public Comment is vested in the CCWG-Accountability. Should the
CCWG-Accountability find the draft language unsatisfactory, the draft
language will be resent, along with recommendations for our independent
counsel, for refining.

A detailed overview of steps, responsibilities and dynamics can be found in
the attached for further information. Once our final report is approved by
Chartering Organizations, ICANN processes will ensue to include the language
as appropriate.

We look forward to this collaboration and encourage you to contact us should
you have questions or concerns.

Thank you,
The CCWG-Accountability Co-Chairs