[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for WP4 Meeting | 28 August

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Aug 28 15:14:17 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the WP-4 meeting  on 28 August will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/J4RYAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Check wording and implications of without reservation

- Without reservation does not encourage legal liability. We are making it complicated. Let's favor
simple statements.

ACTION ITEM: Leon to refine high level drafting to reflect today's discussion and to begin working
on explanatory note to document how WP4 reached this wording.

- Commitment to human rights won't cause any court cases if all this would be carefully further
formulated in policies.

ACTION ITEM: Share progress report with Subgroup to incorporate any additional feedback there may be

ACTION ITEM: Leon to set up google doc

Notes

David McAuley on phone.

Review of Draft High Level Objective

WP4 discussed proposal received on list to modify text to not restrict it to United Nations

Feedback:

- Suggest defining high level commitment along the lines of what we have discussed for WS1 and
fleshing it out as part of Work Stream 2.

- We need to refine wording put together.

- Do not understand that we give support without reservation to United Nations principles. It would
be better to confirm support for International Human Rights and leave it to WS2 to define what we
are going to use to operationalize that (UN compact, etc). Open it up to wider set of documents

- Suggested language: HEREBY AFFIRMS its support without reservation for internationally recognized
fundamental human rights, and intends to develop .....

--> Concerned about support without reservation. What could that imply? It could be a point of
discussion for the group

- Stick to paragraph 151

- Do not think putting commitment to human rights will be risk of law suit for ICANN

- Need to explore options and caveats around meaning of without reservations

- Without reservation is superfluous

ACTION ITEM: Check wording and implications of without reservation

- Without reservation does not encourage legal liability. We are making it complicated. Let's favor
simple statements.

ACTION ITEM: Leon to refine high level drafting to reflect today's discussion and to begin working
on explanatory note to document how WP4 reached this wording.

- Commitment to human rights won't cause any court cases if all this would be carefully further
formulated in policies.

--> We have common understanding that it would not be opening door to lawsuits

ACTION ITEM: Share progress report with Subgroup to incorporate any additional feedback there may be

ACTION ITEM: Leon to set up google doc

- What is the procedure to reach consensus/what are the next steps?

--> Within 1 or 2 calls, we could have product for group to review/discuss

- is there any use in possibly looking at slightly rewording article 4 of the articles of
incorporation to make a more explicit reference to HR?

--> That is a possibility.

- Changing the art of incorporation entails another process (and was not included in draft report of
CCWG)

Documents Presented

*
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/56132647/Human%20Rights%20subgroup%20timeline_24%2
0Aug.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1440772825330&api=v2> Human Rights subgroup timeline_24 Aug.pdf

*
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/56132647/Human%20Rights%20Briefing_Discussion%20pa
per%20%281%29.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1440772776026&api=v2> Human Rights Briefing_Discussion
paper (1).pdf