[CCWG-ACCT] Issues with Providing Public Comments on CCWG-Accountability Proposal

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Dec 6 18:12:50 UTC 2015

I fully support the comments of Mr Arasteh.

I also remain concerned about the legitimacy of the process.

We carried out a U-turn away from the membership model after many months
of work.

This was as recently as just over a month ago.

So essentially what we have in the Draft Proposal is an entirely new
concept for the redesign and reimplementation of ICANN.

And it is most substantial.

Let us pass over the perception that many of us had in Dublin that the
inexplicable change in the views of the authors and certain participants
was the result of a secret agreement  . . . and take the current
proposal on its face.

Those people and organisations that are significantly affected by this
proposal need proper time to consider the proposal seriously and
comprehensively.

And public authorities (government bodies) even longer.

If proper account is not taken of the concerns of Mr Arasteh, Mr
Deerhake and others, the consensus view will have to be that this
proposal is half-baked (in both senses of that expression).

What I personally find frustrating is that this is all so unnecessary.

If we had spent less time trying to chivvy the process along, we might
be further along, and in more agreement!

Nigel

PS: I'm somewhat concerned about the repeated suggestions that one
reason for the CCWG's unseemly haste is that it all to be done and
dusted while there is a Democratic administration still in power in the
United Sates -- this has been put to me by several respected colleagues.

I know of no more sure way to ensure a negative view of ICANN by a
hypothetical future incoming administration of a different political
stance than such an apparently partisan approach, aimed at presenting a
hypothetical non-Democrat led government with a fait accompli.

I must reiterate my view that ICANN has to be above party politics in
all countries. We expect it to be around through many years of different
administrations, and we have to get along.