[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: ICANN Board Comments on Third CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Dec 24 12:00:08 UTC 2015

Hello Edward,

> We are wary of getting tied up in processes where we need 100 staff to answer requests for information that are not always material but serve the curiosity of the requester.

>>  I share these concerns and am confident that working together in a spirit of cooperation and compromise the Board and the community can reach a mutually acceptable outcome that addresses this concern while giving the community the transparency desired.

I am also confident that we can reach a mutually acceptable outcome.

>>  I note that the Board is today having great difficulty meeting the timelines of our current accountability mechanisms. Reconsideration requests, for example, are not being handled within the period suggested in the Bylaws.

Yes in addition to the usual load of reconsideration requests - the Board members are also working on the new CEO selection process, as well as working on reading and developing comments on the CCWG work.   It takes several days of calls for example to develop each set of comments for the CCWG public comment periods.

I am not happy that we have missed the deadlines on responding to reconsideration requests.   It is an area I will working to improve.   It has been challenging recently to find time for a meeting when the members of the BGC are all on the ground (rather than in an aircraft)  and available for a teleconference across time-zones.

>>   If all parties act in good faith, refrain from threats (which, in my view, has not always happened) and work together I'm confident we'll be able to come up with an approach that works for everyone.

Agreed.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin