[CCWG-ACCT] Thinking ahead - overcoming the legal obstacles to accountability

Kieren McCarthy kieren at kierenmccarthy.com
Tue Feb 17 21:29:22 UTC 2015

To Steve's point: all of the accountability measures proposed can be
implemented, and perfectly legally, if ICANN's Board decides to make the
relevant changes to its own bylaws.

If you read ICANN's lawyers' position carefully, you will see that they
never say it is not possible, just that it is either not *currently*
possible (because of the current bylaws), or that the law does not
"provide" for that (not expressly, but it is legally possible).

My point, again, is two-fold:

1. What happens when the independent legal advice clashes with ICANN's
internal legal advice?

I think everyone agrees that the ICANN Board is required to make changes to
ICANN's bylaws for any of this to happen. So - what happens when they are
told by their own lawyers it is not legal to make those changes? Because
that is their current position.

2. The whole issue of anti-trust law (or, more accurately, ICANN's
interpretation of anti-trust law). This has been used in the past by ICANN
to explain why it cannot make changes but it has yet to be considered in
this accountability process.

Kieren