[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding how bylaw changes are made

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 14:09:36 UTC 2015

Dear Paul,

Dear All

I am coming back to reply to your kind responses on which we have major
agreement on the substance but different views on the approaches.

Let me just clarify my points that I raised many times and no answer was
give.

Currently, there is constitutional and legal mechanism for ICANN
accountability

On the other hand, there are some sort of optional accountability ( in form
of ATRT Recommendations and comments received from a limited number of
people ( Public Comments )

However, there is no mechanism at all to verify whether the
responsibilities entrusted to the Board have been properly held or
implemented.

Moreover, there are not any constitutional (legally adopted) by stakeholder
accountability terms and conditions.

We have bylaws crafted by board and under the Board authority to modify and
or update

In my view having more than 40 years of constitutional experience the Board
is no more than an executive entity

What they execute is AoC and Bylaws .The first one is designed to meet the
NTIA requirement .The second one is a quasi-unilateral provisions crafted
by Board and commented by a limited number of people ( public ) without
knowing that whether or not that limited number of people commented
represents the entire multistakeholders ( Civil Society, Private Sector,
Technical Community including Academics and last but not leased Governments
)

There is no separation of authority between those who establish policy/
Multistakeholders or their legally designated or elected representatives
with appropriate footing and those who implement policies ( ICANN) and in
particular the policy itself ( modified version of AoC plus modified Bylaws
) Every thing is mixed.

Currently ICANN is at least is responsible to NTIA for certain actions and
responsible to UNKNOWN Public for certain other actions .Once the
transition is done the entire responsibilities goes to that UNKNOWN Public
without having any authority to scrutinize actions implemented and no
authority to sanction those who did not implement the established policy

Now CCWG is making every effort to clarify the situation .We are at the
beginning of the process. In my view, that takes many months if not many
years to do so .

Now you and those supporting your approach consider that we need to ask the
Board in an upfront approach what they believe implementable and what
believe Un/ Non implementable

Allow me dear Paul to describe the scenarios.

We would wish to ask an entity whether or not that entity agrees that we a)
limit its authority) designating or establishing a mechanism for
overnighting their action and c) implement sanctions if they have not or
will not perform their duties  as prescribed by the Policy Terms and
condition

Now I am asking this simple question

Do you know any one or any entity wants that a) ,b) and C) individually and
or/ collectively be implemented in her or his regard?

In this world that we are living no one wants to be limited in authority
nor being held more responsible than  she or he is currently responsible
and more importantly no one which is not under any  sanctioning rules to be
under that rules

If the answer is yes, then we should not raise any question to them at all.

Moreover, does the legislating authority ask the executing authority which
kind of authority sphere or responsibility domain it wishes to perform its
function?

The answer is no

The legislator establishes the laws and rules and the executing entity MUST
implement that Law or Rule.

However, in devising those laws and Rules there is continuing dialogues
between the two CCWG and ICANN Board.

In summary, in view of the above, we should not raise any such questions to
the Board but continue to exchange views between the Board and CCWG ,as
appropriate

Kavouss