[CCWG-Accountability] WS1 vs WS2 recap and proposals

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Mon Jan 5 15:56:15 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

During our 30th December call, we had extensive discussions regarding
what our group would consider work stream 1 or swork stream 2. We
concluded with an action item as such :
> *ACTION:* Recap of definitions of WS1/WS2 for mailing list and discussion next week.
As Co-chairs, we have attempted to summarize the various inputs
expressed on the list as well as during the calls on the matter. Below
is a recap, including a proposal for discussion, inspired by the WA2
proposal, and which, in our opinion, would be a good candidate to move
forward.

This is for you review at this stage before we discuss it tomorrow
during the weekly call. Comments or alternate will be welcome during the
call or later on this thread.

I'd like to once again thank Steve del Bianco and the WA2 team for their
essential contribution to this key piece of our work.

Mathieu

------------------------
Main inputs, comments and positions expressed so far regarding WS1/WS2:
> [...]
>> regards to accountability may create a situation where NTIA does not accept the IANA transition
>> proposal as meeting its conditions. Thus reviewing ICANN’s accountability mechanisms was
>> considered to be crucial for the transition process.
> Work stream scopes from our Charter :
>> In the discussions around the accountability process, the
>> CCWG-Accountability will proceed with two Work Streams:
>>
>>   * *Work Stream 1*: focused on mechanisms enhancing ICANN
>>     accountability that must be in place or committed to within the
>>     time frame of the IANA Stewardship Transition;
>>   * *Work Stream 2*: focused on addressing accountability topics for
>>     which a timeline for developing solutions and full implementation
>>     may extend beyond the IANA Stewardship Transition.
>>

>> The CCWG-Accountability will allocate issues to Work Stream 1 and
>> Work Stream 2. Some issues may span both Work Streams.
>>
>> Suggested questions to be considered as part of Work Stream 1
>> include, but are not limited to:
>>
>>   * What would be the impact of NTIA’s transition of the IANA
>>     Functions Contract in ensuring ICANN’s accountability and what
>>     potential accountability concerns could this cause?
>>   * What enhancements or reforms are required to be implemented or
>>     committed to before the NTIA Stewardship Transition?
>>       o How will these enhancements or reforms be stress-tested?
>>   * What enhancements or reforms must be committed to before the NTIA
>>     Stewardship Transition, but could be implemented after.
>>       o If the implementation of enhancements or reforms are to be
>>         deferred, how can the community be assured they will be
>>         implemented?
>>       o How will these enhancements or reforms be stress-tested?
>>

> Work Area 2 proposed definition of WS1/2 :
>> WS 1 is designated for accountability mechanisms that must be in
>> place of rimly committed to before IANA transition occurs.
>> All other consensus items could be in WS2, provided*there are
>> mechanisms in WS1 adequate for force implementation of WS2 items
>> despite resistance from Icann management and Board.*
> Paul Rosenzweig tentative defintiion of WS0 :
>>
>>     As a result, I think that part of what we should be doing in the
>>     long run is focusing on the core/critical 3-5 items that are
>>     absolutely essential to ensuring accountability.  In short, I
>>     think there is actually a sub-category of WS1 (call it*WS0*for
>>     want of a better term) that would be fundamental red-lines for
>>     the community.
>>

> Alan Greenberg's concern :
>> Needs to demontrate why items in WS1 or WS2 are needed as a consequence of the NTIA transition.
>
> Comment from Becky Burr :
> Understands the community to say there were certain basic
> accountability mechanisms that would enable them to feel comfortable
> with the IANA transition, these may not be directly related to the
> transition itself.  What we need from WS1 is the community feels
> comfortable that tools are in place to continue the work to create
Proposal submitted for comments (to be presented and initially discussed
during tomorrow's call):

--
Mathieu WEILL
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr