[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding Non-profit and public-benefit legal structure

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:40:46 UTC 2015

What Bruce has set forth is close to correct.  However, I can't help but do
a little legal nit-picking.

"Public benefit corporation" is a term used in California (among other
places) as a term for non-profit corporations generally.  (In New York
State, we use the term "not-for-profit corporation" to mean basically the
same thing as a California "public benefit corporation" (and we use the
term "public benefit corporation" to mean something quite different -- a
quasi-public corporation like the Metropolitan Transport Authority).)
 California public benefit corporations are not really "chartered by the
state" (though New York ones like the MTA are chartered by the state).
 [Wikipedia isn't always a great source....]

In California, public benefit corporations may be created with or without
members, or may convert from member to non-member and vice versa.  However,
a public benefit corporation with members is still a public benefit
corporation.
(California also has "mutual benefit corporations" which are non-profit but
never charitable (and are also not tax-exempt).  Mutual benefit
corporations are run for the benefit of their members, and not for the
benefit of the general public.)

The term "member" can also be used to mean people (or organizations) who
aren't really members.  For instance, when you become a "member" of a
museum, you are not becoming a member of the corporation (i.e., what some
in ICANN-land have termed a "statutory member").  These non-statutory
"memberships" are more for marketing purposes and have no governance role.
 "Statutory members" on the other hand, have a role in governance (which
can vary markedly depending on the by-laws of the particular corporation.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Greg Shatan
(Speaking for myself, and not giving legal advice as I am not a member of
the California Bar)