[CCWG-Accountability] High Level Statement for CWG-Stewardship

Thomas Rickert rickert at anwaelte.de
Wed Jan 7 19:49:32 UTC 2015

Greg, Matthew and Robin,
thanks for your comments and sharing your concerns.

Firstly, the sentence you make reference to relates to the mechanisms mentioned in the first sentence of statement 1, i.e. independent mechsnisms enabling....

However, I am more than happy to include the suggested clarification.

Secondly, I do not see the issue with the Charters. The CWG has asked us for input and it is our suggestion to respond to them that the independent mechanism we are considering _could_ also be used for the needs of the CWG, i.e. IANA related issues.
Let us assume that we would recommend the creation of a "review panel" (just for the sake of giving an example). We would then need to specify what decisions such review panel can take, i.e. we would need to define responsibilities / scope. We would list the items or areas of concern arising from the issues we are chartered with, i.e. we would recommend an accountability mechanism well within our Charter.
The message we intend to send here is that the CWG (unless it advises otherwise) can also use this review panel (to stay with the the example) and add IANA related issues to the list of responsibilities of the review panel.
This is optional for them as we cannot prescribe what they will suggest. If they chose, however, to pick up the idea, they could build on our suggestion.

We could amend the sentence as follows:

> Unless the CWG-Stewardship specifies otherwise, Board decisions that are directly related to IANA Functions COUD BE ADDED TO the remit of THE AFOREMENTIONED independent mechanisms for the review and redress of decisions of the ICANN Board of Directors, which the CCWG-Accountability may address in Work Stream 1.

I hope this helps clarify the issue.

Finally, please do rest assured that we seek to work with the CWG closely. My personal view is that collaboration is key.

Thanks,
Thomas

--
thomas-rickert.tel