[CCWG-Accountability] WS1 vs WS2 recap and proposals

Roelof Meijer Roelof.Meijer at sidn.nl
Sat Jan 10 16:50:48 UTC 2015

Dear Mathieu, Paul,

It seems I did not fully understand Paul, because I agree with both his reaction and yours, Mathieu. I understood Paul to suggest (in short) that the Board should beforehand, and without knowing what they would have to implement, to agree to implement any advice from the working group. I think you will both agree that that would not be a very realistic expectation.

I am quite aware of the fact that boards commonly operate under some structure of higher authority (General assembly, shareholders, supervisory board (as SIDN has). And I consider that very good practice.
In fact, it is what I suggested in my mail of 19 december to this list:

….
The possibility of introducing such a structure is certainly not limited to organizations operating under California State (or US Federal for that matter) Law.
If the members of such a structure would be the (elected) chairs of the SO’s and AC’s and of a few other (e.g. IETF, IAB and –dare I suggest it- the SG of the ITU) to make it truly/fully multi-stakeholder, it could greatly enhance ICANN’s accountability. As the structure itself would be very accountable.

I would think that (indeed on the condition of a supermajority) this structure then could be given the power to (escalation with increase in number):

     *   On the basis of „too much noise from the community”, tell ICANN to redo a particular process;
     *   If the above does not solve the situation, call for an independent review of the issue/process;
     *   If the situation meets certain criteria, send the board (or part thereof) away;
     *   If the situation meets even stricter criteria, transfer ICANN’s role and/or the IANA function to another organization

……

That solved, I agree that it might prove a challenge for the board to agree to introduce such a structure and relinquish power to it. Especially not in this phase of developments.

I think this is yet another prove of how important it is for the CCWG and our working group to fully synchronize their work. Because if such a proposal it done in the light of „just” our work, enhancing ICANN’s accountability in general, the decision to agree to it or not is the board’s an can easily be postponed (even indefinitely). However, if the proposal for the introduction of such a structure (or any other mechanism by which the board relinquishes power) is part of the plan for the transition of the NTIA’s oversight of IANA (and in my opinion it should), agreement of the board might be much more likely or even unavoidable. Especially if the NTIA accepts the proposal and such a structure would become a precondition for the transfer.

Cheers,

Roelof