[CCWG-Accountability] Regarding role of Board directors

Adebunmi AKINBO akinbo.adebunmi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 08:30:36 UTC 2015

+1 DelBianco = So, when the Board is confronting a community consensus to
take an action that could put the corporation at risk of a lawsuit … how do
you believe a board member is obliged to react?

On the above, can we seek a legal opinion?
Its important to address this scenario.

This can happen at anytime in the lifetime of ICANN.
-Akinbo.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

>  I am not an ICANN Board Member. I am not a lawyer. I am not a California
> law expert.
>
> But I "hope" that the answer is "it depends".  I would like to think that
> the risk of being sued and the potential liabilities (and the chances of
> losing!) would be weighed against the ICANN Mission, Core Values and its
> Articles of Incorporation which includes the phrase "The Corporation shall
> operate for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole".
>
> Alan
>
> At 10/01/2015 08:40 PM, Steve DelBianco wrote:
>
> Thanks for the larger context around that bylaws provision, Bruce.  But if
> we are considering whether the bylaws refer to ‘ICANN’ as the
> corporation or the *community*, see ICANN’s own Management Operating
> Principles (2008 link
> <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/acct-trans-frameworks-principles-10jan08-en.pdf>,
> p. 5):
>
>  "The third and perhaps most critical point of tension is between the
> accountability to the participating community to perform functions in
> keeping with the expectations of the community and the corporate and legal
> responsibilities of the Board to meet its fiduciary obligations. The
> ultimate legal accountability of the organization lies with the Board, not
> with the individuals and entities that make up the ICANN community.â€
>

> So, when the Board is confronting a community consensus to take an action
> that could put the corporation at risk of a lawsuit … how do you bellieve a
> board member is obliged to react?
>

> From: Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
> Date: Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 8:10 PM
> To: Bruce Tonkin < Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
> Cc: " accountability-cross-community at icann.org" <
> accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
> Subject: Re: [CCWG-Accountability] Regarding role of Board directors
>
> Thanks for the info, Bruce.  It is worth pointing out that regardless of
> how those bylaws are interpreted, under California law, nonprofit board
> members owe a legal duty of loyalty to the corporation and there isn't
> anything that this working group can do change California corporations law
> and the legal duty of loyalty each board member owes to the corporation (as
> a corporation, yes, not staff).  This is where a tension comes in for
> trying to do public governance via a private corporation - the two concepts
> weren't "built" for the other, so there are gaps and some issues as a
> result.  I think this is an issue our group should explore.
>
> Best,
> Robin
>

> On Jan 10, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>
>  Hello  Steve,
>  ICANN Bylaws Article 6 Section 7 defines the duty of directors to ICANN
> the Corporation:
>
> Directors shall serve as individuals who have the duty to act in what they
> reasonably believe are the best interests of ICANN and not as
> [...]

*Evang. Akinbo A. A. Cornerstone, Nigeria.*
+2348064464545, +2348089118151 | 2BAC511D.
www.akinbo.ng

*Member, Executive Board of Directors*,
Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA)
www.nira.org.ng  | akinbo at nira.org.ng <akinbo at yips.org.ng>
@niraworks

*Acting Chief Operating Officer,*
DNS Africa Magazine
www.dnsafrica.org  | akinbo at dnsafrica.org
@dnsafrica

*National Convener,*
Nigerian Youth Coalition on Internet Governance (NG-YCIG)
www.ycig.org.ng <http://www.nira.org.ng/>

*President,*
Young Internet Professionals (YiPS)
www.yips.gnbo.com.ng <http://wwwyips.org.ng/> | akinbo at yips.org.ng

*The RedHub.*
12, Afonka Odebunmi Street, Lagos State.
http://www.theredhub.org/

*National Focal Point ( Nigeria ) 2009-2011.*
Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS (a program of TakingITGlobal)
www.youthaidscoalition.org                  www.takingitglobal.com
www.iaids.org
About me: http://profiles.tigweb.org/pscornerstone