[CCWG-Accountability] WA4 and next steps

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Mon Jan 12 19:02:54 UTC 2015

Dear co-chairs,

Thanks to those involved in the debate that has been going on surrounding the contingencies/stress tests.

I believe that Steve DelBianco’s latest “de-cluttered” approach is best.

While some of the tests might be merged at some point (e.g. the separate tests for change authority and delegation authority; and certain kinds of financial crises), for now more and crisper specificity, in my opinion, is critical.

As a number of participants have noted from time to time about accountability, this transition is the ONE chance to get it right.

(BTW, the BC’s idea of stress tests has received significant support in the overall community over the last year plus -  so to not pursue it as proposed to the community would be to ignore community input in that respect. Moreover, our CCWG charter tells us how to do scenarios, and we should adhere to that charter.)

ICANN’s board today is comprised of people of accomplishment, honor, and dedication to the best interests of the Internet – but that state of affairs is not guaranteed – and the transition is forever.

If there is to be any winnowing of the list, or any merging of tests, let’s reserve that until after the Singapore F2F, when this group will may have had sufficient time and discussions to have developed a realistic sense of what tests are needed.

I have been reading through some recent IRP panel decisions and Reconsideration Requests and come away from that process thinking that any community member with a grievance today has a mighty tall (nearly impossible) climb ahead of them to make the case, or even get documents to fully understand what happened.

In that process, I kept in mind that one significant Board step of recent years was to formally NARROW the scope of review of Board action. David Maher covered that bylaws change well in Circle ID last year: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140829_accountability_and_redress/

All of this work is important – coming up with the right mechanisms for objective accountability, and creation of a binding appeals mechanism.  The process for testing the ultimately chosen mechanisms should be inclusive at this stage.

David McAuley