[CCWG-Accountability] definitions of consensus

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Jan 13 00:28:23 UTC 2015

Hello Mathieu,

>>  I do not know whether Icann has a documented definition of consensus other than that ? Maybe there is within the gNSO for PDP purposes ?

In the past the GNSO used the term "Supermajority" to be a 2/3 majority.    A supermajority is required before something can become a Consensus Policy.    When the GNSO Council was divided into two houses the definition was changed to:

 "GNSO Supermajority" shall mean: (a) two-thirds (2/3) of the Council members of each House, or (b) three-fourths (3/4) of one House and a majority of the other House."

The GAC uses this definition:

" The GAC works on the basis of seeking consensus among its membership.  Consistent with United Nations practice, consensus is understood to mean the practice of adopting decisions by general agreement in the absence of any formal objection.  Where consensus is not possible, the Chair shall convey the full range of views expressed by members to the ICANN Board."

Not sure if that helps.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin