[CCWG-Accountability] the term "community"

Carrie Devorah info at centerforcopyrightintegrity.com
Tue Jan 13 01:56:23 UTC 2015

LA Municipal requirements for businesses/non profits are within this page
which turns up the obligations of compliance and, as with all
municipalities/towns/villages to be of concern
http://lacity.org/businesses/CitywideServices/index.htm?laCategory=316
Sincerely
Carrie Devorah
www.centerforcopyrightintegrity.com

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:

> I could not have put it more succinctly :-)-O
>
> Though the incorrect use of the terminology irritates me, as a fellow
> member of the former DRD and FoI Wg, it's not IANA, is either the IANA
> Function or the IANA Function Manager.
>
> el
>
> Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini
>
> On Jan 13, 2015, at 01:14, Burr, Becky <Becky.Burr at neustar.biz> wrote:
>
>  Perhaps it would help to be clear about when we are speaking about
> matters within ICANN’s mission and scope, and when we are not.
>
>  When it comes to country code top level domains (ccTLDs), the
> conclusions of the Framework of Interpretation Working Group (the FOIWG
> Report) speak to a rather limited set of circumstances – revocation and
> delegation *by IANA* in response to technical incompetence and
> substantial misbehavior as defined in RFC 1591.  Those conclusions do not,
> however, deprive any government of any right it may have under *applicable
> law* with respect to the operation of a ccTLD subject to its
> jurisdiction.  Likewise, those conclusions do not deprive any ccTLD manager
> of his/her/its rights under *applicable law – whether contractual or
> otherwise*.  The FOIWG report is consistent with community consensus that
> disputes regarding operation of a ccTLD should ordinarily be resolved
> in-country/territory, consistent with the rule of law, and respecting the
> rights of both registry operators and significantly interested parties,
> including the relevant government.  I say “ordinarily” because there are
> limited exceptions – for example, where DNS stability/security issues arise
> or where the circumstances under which a ccTLD was delegated (i.e., as Dr.
> Lisse points out, before RFC 1591) or operates (i.e., under a specific
> contract) compel a different result.  So, when it comes to the role of the
> “government” in the context of a ccTLD, a government will ordinarily have
> all of the authority granted by applicable law to compel an outcome
> consistent with the rule of law.  This does not strike me as governments
> having a lower status than other players.  But most of this time this is
> outside of the scope of the IANA functions, and we should not seek to
> expand IANA functions beyond the remit of RFC 1591.
>
>  Within the scope of ICANN’s remit, I often find the GAC’s role to be
> less than fully satisfying.  It is an “advisory” body on the one hand, but
> from time to time GAC Advice has been used to veto community developed
> policy.  That troubles me, particularly when the Advice is difficult to
> reconcile with ICANN’s Bylaws.  I think that the cross-community working
> groups on the IANA transition and on accountability offer us an opportunity
> to include members of the GAC in the real-time policy development process.
> Although I don’t agree with everything Mr. Arasteh says, I certainly
> welcome his willingness to be an active part of the process.
>
>  Becky Burr
>

>  J. Beckwith Burr

> [...]

Sincerely
Carrie Devorah
562 688 2883

Founder
THE CENTER FOR COPYRIGHTS INTEGRITY
       www.centerforcopyrightintegrity.com
Where ARTS, IP, ID, IT and ENFORCEMENT Come Together In One Voice Against
Online Theft Of Content and Commerce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I93F73UYmsw&feature=youtu.be

CCIA : Profiler : trained MPI : LACBA-DRS : CA-BSIS
Actively built the 1st discrete site crime analysis lab on a campus in
North America
*COFFEE @ CLOCKERs "A Sense Of Place"*

Licensor                     http://ybltv.com/?p=306

Retired White House News Photographers Association Alumnus Covering Capitol
Hill and the White House for Almost a Decade

DISCLAIMER :
With the continuing crossing and interfacing of platforms both on & off
line both with & without our knowledge nor approval to note nothing sent
over the Internet anymore is ever private nor should be presumed to be so.
If it is that much of a secret, say nothing. If you must? Take a lesson
from our military- hand write the note, chew then swallow