[CCWG-Accountability] Review, Redress, Binding, and Independence

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Jan 19 15:33:35 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I think we can classify various mechanisms as including review only or review and redress - and then whether the process is independent and whether the outcomes are binding.

(1) Reconsiderations of a staff decision

- this mechanism involves the Board reviewing a staff action, and the board will provide redress to the complainant if the staff staff action does not comply with policy

- in my view this is a redress mechanism available to the community

(2) Independent review panel

- this mechanisms is an independent review of a Board decision

What I hear people asking for is:

- more use of independent panels

- getting the independent panel to specific a redress

- having the redress recommendation become binding

As Malcom has pointed out, in any independence mechanism - it needs to be clear the standard that is being applied, and also what redress mechanisms are available for specific actions of the Board or staff.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin