[CCWG-Accountability] Membership thoughts

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.NA
Mon Jan 19 16:19:53 UTC 2015

Bruce,

as far as the ccNSO is concerned, I really don't follow.

Each region has 3 representatives on Council and 3 are selected by
the NomCom.

As fars as I can recall, Council has elected from themselves Chairs from
New Zealand, Australia, Canada (ie ccTLDs without much baggage) and
(briefly) from the UK.

I don't believe that the ccNSO or its Council is dominated.  At all.
It has a long history of being inclusive, in particular towards non
ccNSO members.

I am in any case totally opposed to have a membership based on
chairs of ACs/SOs.  They are elected, and for that we have the
Board.  I do have concerns about capture if we take all comers,
however.

So I don't have the solution either...

el

On 2015-01-19 16:57 , Bruce Tonkin wrote:
> Hello Jordan,
>

>>>  a) what classes of membership are available
>
> I think you also need to look at diversity.  The SO and AC chairs
> for example have over time often been dominated by people from
> countries where the native language is English and are generally
> developed countries.
>
> The bylaws go to some lengths to try to ensure that the ICANN
> Board is more diverse - that is partly why it is so large.
>
> So while having a membership structure based on chairs of ACs and
> SOs is relatively simple to implement - it may not truly take into
> account the global diversity of the global public.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce Tonkin
[...]