[CCWG-ACCT] Approval process for articles of incorporation/bylaws

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Jan 20 14:46:14 UTC 2015

>>  In addition to the new group powers including “approval of any future changes to ICANN bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, etc.”, would it also have any ability to propose changes to Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, etc., along with a process for consideration and approval of them? I think that is necessary to ensure that WS2 proposals get due consideration.

It is also worth being clear about the differences between proposing in one group versus approval in the other group.

For example, it might be appropriate for the Board to propose bylaws changes, and the Community/membership group may have the power to approve.

You might also want the ability for the Community/membership group to propose its own bylaws changes, and the Board would also need to approve.

Ultimately this raises the bar to ensure that both the Board and the Community/membership group are required to approve changes to bylaws or articles of incorporation.

It is certainly common in many membership organizations for the members to have to approve a change in bylaws or articles of incorporation, and also an ability for members to propose changes at an AGM.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin