[CCWG-ACCT] [CCWG-Accountability] On legal advise concerning California non-profits

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 05:52:27 UTC 2015

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 23 Jan 2015 06:28, "Kieren McCarthy" <kierenmccarthy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we all stop wasting time writing long treatises agreeing with one
another and get to the nub of this issue: who will pay for the advice; who
is the lawyer or firm to approach; and how do we boil down the excessively
long query document to something manageable?

+1 to the 3 questions above which I will say has asked and answered/acted
upon within CWG. Inview of this, I will add a 4th question; can the ccwg
have a look at CWG questions to see if theirs is already covered and if
not, whether it can be included.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel of this legal process delaying the
process unnecessarily. However if ccwg still prefers to do it's thing
independently then please let's answer the 3 questions raise by Kieren.

Regards
> Kieren
>
> -
> [sent through phone]
>

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Drazek, Keith <kdrazek at verisign.com>
wrote:

>> +1 Robin
>>
>> On Jan 22, 2015, at 8:41 PM, "Robin Gross" <robin at ipjustice.org> wrote:
>>
>>> As a California attorney who has set up a number of California
nonprofit corporations over the last decades and who understands the
fiduciary relationship owed by an attorney to the corporation she
represents and by a board member to the corporation it oversees, I can say
we must have external legal advice to avoid both actual conflict of
interest, but also to preclude the dismissal of the advice because of
claims of conflict of interest.   This matter is so legally complex that we
need very specialized legal expertise - not something a general council's
office is best suited for as they work on a broad range of issues for one
specific client.  That is why ICANN legal dept often utilizes the services
of outside council to provide specific highly specialized legal expertise
to the legal dept. on particular issues.  So I agree with Becky, Eberhard,
Phil, Paul, David, and Avri for all of these reasons.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Robin

contemplating surgery, get a second opinion.

reasons and more.  If ICANN legal had all the expertise necessary, it would
be a bad idea, due to lack of independence, ethical obligations to their
client, etc.  And even if they are reasonably well-informed on California
non-profit law, that is necessary but not sufficient for the task at hand.
Someone with considerable expertise and experience in corporate governance
(especially non-profit) and corporate structuring in a variety of contexts
(a "big brain," so to speak) is also necessary.

the past, it is my impression that they have turned to the international
mega firm of Jones Day (the biggest thing to come out of Cleveland, Ohio
since