[CCWG-ACCT] Contingencies and Board Risk Committee

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Tue Jan 27 18:15:03 UTC 2015

Dear Mathieu, co-chairs, colleagues,

I'm pleased to see the relevance, applicability, and severity mentioned
by the co-chairs, as well as the subsequent mention of remedies, if any,
and their robustness and the mechanisms available or necessary to
address those contingencies meeting some minimum of relevance,
applicability and severity.

In my reading of the input from the Board Risk Committee (BRC) I see
than much of the contributed contingencies meeting what I'd personally
thought met some minimum of relevance, applicability and severity were
present.

I suggest that those items from the BRC's "Enterprise-Wide Risks" be
eliminated or deferred which begin with or contain the phrase "possible
perception", as perceptions do not, in general, give rise to a concrete
case for which an accountability question could be answered. There are
similar subjective ephemeral "risks" such as "lack of improving trust in
..." or "failure to effectively facilitate ...", "inconsistent
communication". Again, it is difficult to know how each of these could
be converted into a meaningful contingency.

With a shortened initial set of relevant, applicable and severe
contingencies to work from the work of the participants of the
re-purposed and re-coordinatored/re-rapporteured WS4 could be more
useful to the Working Group in the large than it has been up until now.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon