[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT #9 27 January 19:00 UTC

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Tue Jan 27 21:59:54 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT #9 call on 27 January will be available
here:  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=51414998

Notes 1/27:

Audio-only -- Jonathan Zuck

Please contact Grace if you need help with your SOI

CWG update & joint statement

*       Chairs' Statement out of F2F (published on 23 January):
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-01-23-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-01-23-en

*       Joint Statement published on 26 January:
<https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-01-26-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-01-26-en

*       CWG reponse to "Accountability Issues" Document has been sent to Avri for final check before
sending

*       Response is public and can be passed on

WS1 requirements : organizing further work

Two groups (mailing lists are set up):

*       WP1: Review & Redress (coordinated by Becky Burr).

*       WP2: Community Empowerment (coordinated by Jordan Carter)

Two key deliverables for WP1 and WP2:

*       Scoping document based on WS1 requirements coming out of Frankfurt

*       Identification of key underlying issues to discuss such as composition, decision making
methodologies (threshold, consensus, ...), standing ground, standards of review, cost, delays, ...

*       When those are defined, then the group can move to developing list of questions for legal
advice detailing expected requirements, and asking for proposed mechanisms, in the form "how can
we... ?"

Action: send out Call for Volunteers. Please send a note to Grace if you would like to volunteer.

Legal Advice

*       Legal Advice subteam also has a mailing list and has started to work based on CWG document.

*       The timeline that we are working with is very aggressive. In Frankfurt, we discussed that we
would get initial response from ICANN legal as we develop our questions document.

*       No deviance from the path discussed in Frankfurt.,

*       CCWG will attempt as an ideal to use the same firm as used by the CWG, although scoping
documents will be different.

*       So as not wait for the firm to be selected, or wait for the scoping document to be
finalized, the first step is to ask for advice from ICANN legal team on a board set of initial
questions to help the CCWG understand if it is on a useful track.  This will be checked by the
external firm..

Contingencies : organising further work (inc. feedback from Board committee)

*       Agreed on a list of 21 contingencies.  Agreed to provide additional analysis to these by
responding to a list of questions, after discussion of an appropriate lists if questions.

*       Request to the Board Risk Committee of the contingencies they use as part of their risk
management, a communication has been received from the committee.  Comparison shows a couple of
items to be updates.

Next steps to answer the various questions:

*       Are there existing remedies in place ? How robust are these remedies ?

*       Could addressing the contingency be achieved through amending existing accountability
mechanisms or is creating new ones necessary ?

*       How relevant is the threat to the transition of the IANA stewardship ? ie how does the
transition affect the likelihood of the threat, or the severeness of the consequences ?

Reframe the questions and ask whether contingencies from Board Risk are either in WS1 or WS2 based
on our Charter.

Action: Add a specific contingency part to the communication materials that we'll edit in Singapore.

Timeline update

Berry Cobb explains timeline

40 days of Public Comment

Outreach plan for Singapore

Adam Peake presents

*       Slide deck or briefing document?

*       Sent a summary of mailing list discussions sent to the CCWG list

*       Please let Adam know if you would like a briefing document and we'll see how we can assist.

Action: prepare a short summary and slide deck that CCWG can share during next week's meeting and
use for Singapore.

Action: Adam to talk to GAC Chair and Staff Support to address timing.

AOB

*       Timing of F2F in March (Kavouss)

Closing remarks

*       Outstanding progress in Frankfurt, but still a lot to do in short time.

*       Press on with various work groups

*       Elaborate documents and build on substance

*       Next Call: 12:00 UTC on Tuesday 3 Feb

Action Items