[CCWG-ACCT] got some lawyerly answers on membership structure

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Wed Jan 28 22:29:10 UTC 2015

Eberhard outlines the complexities of the cc’s relationship with ICANN, and the unique challenges it presents to our work.

In order to help us move forward, I would note that:

  *   These problems exist today, under the current IANA/ICANN arrangement.
  *   Our proposed accountability mechanisms (membership, trust, whatever) should try to address them, if possible.
  *   However, if they fall short of the second point, that doesn’t mean we should abandon the idea.  It simply indicates that we need to go further to accommodate the cc community.

In short, I don’t think we should give up on one or more proposals that do not solve everyone’s issues.  But consider including them as part of a portfolio of options that might include separate accountability mechanisms that address the unique needs of ccTLDs (or others) not served by the general proposal.

Hope that made sense.

J.