[CCWG-ACCT] got some lawyerly answers on membership structure

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Thu Jan 29 17:00:29 UTC 2015

Keith,

The case against aggregates (of delegees and their agents) has been made
by Eberhard. I won't repeat it. The case for merely replicating the
Bylaws entities (SOs and ACs) as "members" -- the "least change" (or
preservation of existing privileged access) -- has been made by several,
overlooking Eberhard's observation -- perhaps due to casual GNSO centric
assumptions.

Continuing to examine basic interests in the continued function of the
Root Management Zone, after exhausting the interests of delegees and
contractees, their agents (registrars where that model has been
implemented), need not also necessarily be promoted to "member" as there
is no unique-to-delegation-databases interest in the RMZ.

Again, the continued function of the Root Management Zone is a general
interest, so no specific "member" need be created to ensure this
interest is present in some hypothetical membership organization
exercising oversight. The contracted parties within GNSO have ordinary
business interests in the fees paid and the budgeted use, and an
ordinary business interest in the Corporation's budgets is a viable
candidate for a membership interest.

The odd thing about contemplating reorganization of the Corporation to
"member" form is that we get a second bite of the apple -- we need not
simply do what Esther and Mike and Louis did in 1998 in attempting to
kluge up something that might be sufficient -- they lost an SO (the
IETF/W3C/ETSI as the PSO in the '02 flurry of bylaws changes) and close
to insolvent at several points. We can shed some thus far uncorrected
errors, e.g., the independent existence of "business" and "access
providers" as policy originating stakeholders/constituencies in the
GNSO, and consider actors Esther and Mike and Louis overlooked yet are
present in our current discourse -- Human Rights, Cultural Rights,
Languages (to which our IDN projects accomplish in part), etc.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon