[CCWG-ACCT] The big test of effective accountability

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Thu Jan 29 22:47:32 UTC 2015

Eric — Your first question helps make my point: After the USG lets of of IANA contract leverage, there is nothing they could do to hold ICANN to the Affirmation of Commitments.

As to your second question:

Within a year of signing the AoC, Peter Dengate Thrush told a group of EU Representatives that he saw the Affirmation as a temporary arrangement ICANN would like to eventually terminate.  (22-Jun-2010, at a dinner hosted by the European Internet Foundation in Brussels).

At a breakfast with the entire Board the next day, I asked ICANN board members if the commitments in the Affirmation should be permanently adopted as part of ICANN's official charter.  One board member immediately disagreed, saying the AoC made no commitments that weren't already in ICANN's bylaws.  I responded that the Affirmation includes important new commitments in paragraphs 3, 4, 7, and 8 – even before we get to the periodic reviews required in paragraph 9.