[CCWG-ACCT] The big test of effective accountability

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 31 06:40:22 UTC 2015

I'm all for calling the Board out when they have messed up. But let's
work with facts and not those developed through a game of "broken
telephone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers).

There is no doubt that the Board neglected to quickly name the
standing panel, but it was not "unexecuted for years", nor was the
failure "called out in ATRT1 and ATRT2".

Based on my review of the documents and my personal involvement, the
sequence was:

- ATRT1 Recommendation 23 called for a review of the IRP as well
other review mechanisms.

- That was done and as a result, new Bylaws were approved which did
call for the Board to appoint a standing panel. Those Bylaws went
into effect 11 April 2013.

- DCA served notice of the intent to seek relief before an IRP on 19
August 2013.

- For reasons unrelated to the DCA action, ATRT2 (of which I was a
member and vice-chair) in its recommendations issued on 31 December
2013 recommended that ICANN should convene a Special Community Group
to discuss options for improving Board accountability with regard to
restructuring of the Independent Review Process (IRP) and the
Reconsideration Process (ATRT2 Recommendation 9.2). The
CCWG-Accountability is that group.

Alan