[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for W3 #1 - 6 July

Kimberly Carlson kimberly.carlson at icann.org
Mon Jul 6 20:18:24 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG ACCT WP3 Meeting #1 - 6 July will be available here:

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53782747

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you

Best regards,
Kim

ACTION Items

ACTION ITEM - Obtain from ccNSO support staff the most recent copy of document of geographic diversity review and track community group's progress

ACTION ITEM - WP3 to read chat transcript

- Suggestion to have Sebastien's comment added to the reading list.

ACTION ITEM - Add Sebastien's comment to the discussion starter

ACTION ITEM: Staff to send calendar invites

ACTION ITEM: Volunteers needed to populate subgroup

ACTION ITEM: Subgroups to look into the documents and identify existing mechanisms related to their scope

Notes
We have received comments from different contributors which raised issues. Some of the topics are SO/AC accountability, diversity, and staff management accountability. The course of this call is to divide work. We need to provide draft document by July 14. Suggestion is to divide work into subgroups. 3 subgroups: 1) staff/management accountability; 2) SO/AC accountability; 3) diversity.
Feedback:
- We need to understand what these 4 items need.
- It is important not to broaden scope. Suggest that the objective of improving diversity and outreach of ICANN can be considered WS2 and should not be allowed on critical path. The item that needs to be on critical path is issues arising from Stress Tests.
- We need to understand terms before we can make decision. Common understanding is needed to decide whether can defer or not. SO/AC accountability cannot be deferred.
- In general, deferring diversity to WS2 is fine but there are several diversity related components to WS1 issues. Diversity issues are relevant when it comes to empowerment mechanisms and independent review panel for instance.
- Suggest that staff accountability is a WS1 issue - at least to extent that there should be a community mechansm when staff negotiates contracts that arguably intrude into realm of Consensus Policy.
- Need for SO/ACs diversity.
- Staff accountability is WS1.
- Diversity is important but does it qualify as WS1?
- It is premature to move diversity until we have figured what portions of diveristy pertain to work stream 1. Unsure we can resolve staff accountability in WS1.
- How are we defining WS1 matters? Common definition needed
- Discussion about what will go into WS1 and WS2 is important. We need to first define what topics we are talking about and after that we will decide whether WS1 or WS2. We need to find a way to have real diversity included into what we want to do. Diversity should be built into WP1 and IANA transition.
- First step might be to see which mechanisms we have in place, whether those mechanisms do meet expectations, which need to be created and then itemize WS1 and WS2. Once we have that, draft solution for consideration in Paris.
- Staff/management accountability: would like to see as WS1 is the definition of ICANN staff's role and details around that pushed into WS2
- Key to Work Stream 1 would be to have powers necessary to implement. Staff accoutability in Work Stream 1 would way to solve for resistance. If Work Stream 1 gives us powers, by that definition, no need to cover staff accountability
--> Which mechanisms would be expanded to cover action or inaction?
--> 5 community powers, Board take action on Bylaws (IRP, reconsideration). Until we come up with structure for members e.g. there is no mechanism yet where community can draft Bylaws change and have Board take action on it.
---> Looking more in terms of accountability e.g. security breach - no reasonnable steps taken. Small items do not rise to level of independent review. Have a definition on ICANN staff's role would be extremely beneficial. If we can't have definition, having mechanisms to address failures that may or may not be role does not sound useful.
Read through of Staff accountability discussion paper.
- How is staff accountability a WS1 issue? What needs to be done on this count for the purpose of IANA transition? I see clear places where diversity and SO/AC accountability are Workstream 1, but not clear how specific measures for increased staff accountability is workstream 1? Work Stream 1 were measures that are needed to justify the IANA transition. Issues around staff accountability sound like long standing general concerns that are not related to mechanisms.
--> Work Stream 1 has to contain powers necessary to overcome resistance.
- Proposal to slice work into two streams.
- Discussion of how recognize diversity needs to be looked at.
- The CCWG on geographic diveristy of ICANN was conducted over 3-4 years under auspices of ccNSO. Geographic diversity review will be ICANN wide document.
ACTION ITEM - Obtain from ccNSO support staff the most recent copy of document of geographic diversity review and track community group's progress
ACTION ITEM - WP3 to read chat transcript
- Suggestion to have Sebastien's comment added to the reading list.
ACTION ITEM - Add Sebastien's comment to the discussion starter

Timeline
We have a very short timeframe to be ready for Paris. Proposed set of calls which may be cancelled depending on progress.
ACTION ITEM: Staff to send calendar invites
- Apologies from Sebastien for missing part of these calls

Proposal: Subgroups to review: AoC, ATRT 1 and ATRT2, review mechanisms, One World Trust report
--> ATRT1 and ATRT2 should not be split. AoC reviews could be managed by Alan or Avri.
--> Subgroups are overlapping topics. Where are we going with that?
- Expedite work and have:
1) subgroup AOC;
2) subgroup on ATRT1 and ATRT 2 mechanisms already in place.
- Doesn't it make more sense to have subgroups on three issues?
- Subgroups need to look at all the following basis:
1) SO/AC accountability
2) ICANN staff/management accountability
3) Diversity
There will be diversity aspects in topic 1 and stand alone matter on diversity.
- Community accountability - has it been looked at in detail? There is no reference work where to start.
- Volunteers needed for all three groups.
1) SO/AC accountability - Alan Greenberg
2) ICANN staff/management accountability
3) Diversity
CONCLUSION:
Three subgroups for each emerging issue: