[CCWG-ACCT] Unintended Consequences of the CCWG proposal

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jul 7 13:18:14 UTC 2015

On 07-Jul-15 09:04, Jordan Carter wrote:
> Your analysis above, to be sustainable, would surely have to explain
> why all the other member or shareholder organisations in the world
> "breach a fundamental principle of governance" - I regard such
> proposals as fulfilling a basic principle, that being one of
> accountability in a true sense of the Board to its stakeholders.

I think one of the keys here is in those cases, most of those
organization are organization formed outside of the corporation.  they
are not parts of that organization.  I think the parallel to stockholder
corporations is problematic at best.  For the most part, if a corpration
ceases to exist, its stockholders continue to exist.  If ICANN were to
cease, I expect that the ACSO would also cease to exist. Also in a
stockholder corpration, and shareholder can just leave and buy stock in
another organization.  I have trouble imagining how that works with a
multistakeholder organization that needs to have an internal set of
check and balances.

avri

---