[CCWG-ACCT] Who is managing the lawyers and what have they beenasked to do?

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Wed Jul 8 00:12:13 UTC 2015

Giovanni,

that is not an interest of a ccTLD Manager.

That's someone wishing to becoming an IDN Manager.
I.e. a prospective IDN Manager.

But an incumbent?  Only DEF and NSF.

Even for an IDN Manager, because they are treated like ccTLD Managers too, once incumbent.

And a prospective ccTLD Manager, e.g. SS, .EH and .UM as the next in line will have to jump through exactly the same hoops to become incumbent, after which they only require DEF and NSF.

I don't even have serious issues with that other than IANA staff leaning on pospective Managers in a major way, currently.

 As I have mentioned, there are no accountability measures contemplated for ccTLD Managers, whatsover, no matter how much one wishes to dress the windows.

Which may be counterproductive, as it only take a very small number of ccTLD Managers, whether ccNSO members or not, to object and we move from Not Full Consensus to No Consensus.

And relying on their lethargy just might turn out not to have been the wisest course of action as far as trandition is concerned.

greetings, el
--
Sent from Dr Lisse's iPhone 6

> [...]
>
> Hi Eberhard,
>
> Thanks for this message.
>
> The point I tried to make was to answer your question “What interest does a ccTLD have in ICANN?”.
>
> My answer was/is that if you are a ccTLD wishing to have the string in your script you have to go through the ccTLD Fast Track process which is managed by ICANN.
>
> Best,
>
> Giovanni
>

>> On 07 Jul 2015, at 22:34, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.na> wrote:
>>
>> Giovanni,
>>
>> Besides that I have not only been opposed to the
>> Fast-Track process and voted against it, it was a
>> ccNSO process.
>>
>> In order for the ccNSO to circumvent having to
>> do a PDP. Quite some accountability issues there.
>>
>> But none of the IDNs is in the ISO tables and hence
>> they are not really ccTLDs so I am not sure RFC
>> 1591 applies to them, nor are they gTLDs.
>>
>> But, no ccTLD *HAS* to have an IDN. Technically
>> speaking its the ccTLD Manager in the first place,
>> but some may *WANT* to have an IDN.
>>
>> And, unless I am mistaken, more or less anyone
>> can apply for an IDN, not judt the corresponding
>> ccTLD Manager.
>>
>> el
>>
>> --
>> Sent from Dr Lisse's iPhone 6
>>

>> On Jul 7, 2015, at 16:39, Giovanni Seppia <Giovanni.Seppia at eurid.eu> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Eberhard,
>>>
>>> ccTLDs must go through the ICANN ccTLD IDN Fast Track process to get the IDN version of their ccTLD.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Giovanni

>>> Giovanni Seppia
>>> External Relations Manager
>>>
>>> EURid
>>> Woluwelaan 150
>>> 1831 Diegem - Belgium
>>> TEL: +32 (0) 2 401 2750
>>> MOB:+39 335 8141733
>>> giovanni.seppia at eurid.eu
>>> http://www.eurid.eu
>>>

>>> <image001.jpg>
>>>

>>> #2015euWA
>>>
>>> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>>>

>>> Disclaimer:
>>> This email and any attachment hereto is intended solely for the person to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this email in error, please delete it and immediately contact the sender by telephone or email, and destroy any copies of this information. You should not use or copy it, nor disclose its content to any other person or rely upon this information. Please note that any views presented in the email and any attachment hereto are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of EURid. While all care has been taken to avoid any known viruses, the recipient is advised to check this email and any attachment for presence of viruses.
>>>
>>> Other languages:
>>> English	Estonian	Italian	Maltese	Romanian	Swedish
>>> Czech	Spanish	Latvian	Dutch	Slovak	Greek