[CCWG-ACCT] member organization and single membership structure

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Jul 9 13:23:59 UTC 2015

Can someone explain to me how SO/ACs can become statutory members.

My understanding is that SO/ACs have no legal personality -- they are,
in effect, departments of the Corporation.

So in order to have the ability for an SO (e.g. the ccNSO) to become a
statutory member, it would require to come into existence with a
separate legal personality, with it's own members.

This is all fine, so far, and I would personally have no issue were, say
the ccNSO to become a distinct body corporate.

But many ccNSO members could be legally prevented from being members --
specifically those that are public authorities (i.e. government run).

(I can't imagine the Government of North Korea would legally be able to
sign up to the ICANN bylaws -- and such ccTLDs CANNOT be excluded from
participation in ccNSO matters).