[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding available financial information

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Jul 10 00:09:38 UTC 2015

Hello Phil,

>>  Can I suggest to the CCWG that a subgroup be formed to look at the perceived  lack of accountability mechanisms within ICANN’s current  financial operations and reporting. It is absolutely critical that these are enhanced within a new membership model, especially  with the  huge increase in revenues from TLD Registries & Registrars.

This is an area where ICANN is certainly working to improve and achieve international best practice.

We are now following the practices of publicly listed companies in the USA.   The annual tax filing is just one of the reports made public  (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/fy-2014-form-990-31mar15-en.pdf).

There is a quarterly financial report, and also a public quarterly call.   You would be welcome to join such calls and ask any questions about the finances.

There are annual audited accounts that are public  (e.g https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/financial-report-fye-30jun14-en.pdf), and there are also annual reports that include financials (https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/annual-report-en ).

See:  https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/governance/current-en for the financial reports.

The budget also sets out in detail the budget allocated to each project in the plan.

See:  https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/adopted-opplan-budget-fy15-01dec14-en.pdf

The status of all current projects is available at:  https://features.icann.org/plan/projects

The staff remuneration policy is set out at:  https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/remuneration-practices-fy15-01nov14-en.pdf

The Board approves via public resolutions the salaries for officers of the company.   See: https://features.icann.org/appointment-officer for an example.

The status of all current projects is available at:  https://features.icann.org/plan/projects

Happy to hear from you on what additional levels of information and transparency that you are seeking.   Perhaps you could provide links to organizations of a similar size to ICANN that have more detailed public reporting.   Examples are always helpful.

I know that the financial system is being evolved over time - its current implementation wasn't really set up for full project level reporting - ie where staff use timesheets, and assign all expenses down to the project level - but that is certainly an option going forward.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin