[CCWG-ACCT] An mplication of accountability models being discussed

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Jul 12 18:42:59 UTC 2015

On 12-Jul-15 13:58, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> ICANN *is* somewhat better now than it was, although the .AFRICA
> review decision would seem not to assist in the task of convincing
> skeptics of this.

Actually it remains to be seen.

A redress mechanism was used and came back with a response.
Can the Board just remedy the error, accept the ruling put the
application back on track and let the process play out?

If they can take the ruling an do the right thing, it will be an
important indicator.

The ruling also shows that the GAC does not have the absolute power some
of us sometimes claim.  That is a good thing we have to be careful to
protect.  It shows that even if they manage to scare the Board into
non-bylaw sanctioned action, there is redress.  How cool is that?

avri

---