[CCWG-ACCT] Agenda for Paris

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jul 15 18:37:54 UTC 2015

Hi,

The problem with staff redaction and transparency is one that continues
to plague ICANN.  And is something that makes trust harder.  Several
reviews, including the ATRT1 & 2 have tried to do something about this.
And while there is some more transparency regarding the Board, we are
not making much headway with the Staff.  Or perhaps it is the Board that
has not been able, or allowed, to translate recommendations of
transparency into instructions to the staff.

One thing that we hoped would help in the quest was the annual reporting
on metrics for transparency.  /of course we have not seen this yet. One
of the factors that needs to be considered is the amount of redaction in
documents ICANN releases.  But really the ATRT2 pushed for a notion of
default transparency with few predetermined classes for redaction, with
public logging required for any thing redacted. We were not, however,
explicit in exactly what this meant for staff.  I hope the ATRT of 2016
manages to be explicit in giving recommended directions for
transparency. I think lack of staff transparency has become one of
ICANN's greater liabilities.

I wonder whether ICANN or  "ICANNleaks" will publish the un-redacted
report first?

avri