[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] Bringing AoC Reviews into ICANN Bylaws, v4 reflecting Paris discussion

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Fri Jul 17 15:16:45 UTC 2015

For the record, when the AoC was presented to the ICANN board September 2009 we raised an immediate objection to the original text of the Whois review.   We got pushback that the entire text had been negotiated and it would put at risk the adoption of the Affirmation of Commitments.  We have been wrestling with this “detail” for six years.  There is no reason to perpetuate inappropriate text.  As I had said early in the process, I think in reference to the IANA contract, it is a misperception/misunderstanding to assume that the existing text is some sort of gold standard.  There is LOT of experience with the relationship between the text in both the IANA contract and the AoC document and what’s needed in practice.

We’re not trying to reduce our commitments or make major changes, but there is no reason to perpetuate non-sensical provisions and ignore the accumulated experience.

Steve