[CCWG-ACCT] Individual ICANN Board Members removal requirements

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 13:50:15 UTC 2015

Hello Alan,

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> Seun, I think that you may have misunderstood. The CMSM would be required
> pass on the appointment decisions of the SO/AC/NomCom, but it would not
> take an independent decision on these. The decision to appoint would remain
> the sole right of the individual SO, AC or NomCom.

I think i understand that correctly Alan; even though SO,AC or Nomcom
appoints, the bylaw would legally recognise that the appointments were made
by CMSM. Otherwise there will not have been need for item 2 below as
presented by legal council:

ICANN Bylaw moderation required for CMSM:
 - Set up community mechanism as sole member
- Alter director selection process so CMSM *elects* directors
- Address membership structure with one member

In my country the president appoints its minister but the "house of
assembly" approves it. While we may say president indeed does indeed
appoint constitutionally the assembly is part of the appointment.

> So we are not populating the Board collectively, the collective is simply
> honouring the decision of the individual organizations.

Based on my above i hope you get my point now.

Again as its been said often, board removal is an unlikely thing to
happen(although i will argue its because we have not such provision at the
moment). However if we make SO/AC board member removal so independent of
other parts of the community, then we may experience board removal often
than we may have thought.

We need to know know every board member removed is removed because he did
not act in-line with the bylaw and not necessarily because he/she did not
act inline with a particular SO/AC's view (even though that can be a second
reason)

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*