[CCWG-ACCT] Concept of some form of "independent" member

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:41:58 UTC 2015

A California unincorporated association does not have all the
characteristics of a "body corporate" -- it really only has the two you
mention: limited liability and legal personality, pursuant to the
California Corporations Code (which also sets out the law on partnerships,
so it's not just about corporations).

There are a number of ways in which a California UA differs from a
corporation: it doesn't need to reserve a name or file incorporation papers
or go through any process with the state to come into existence (it can
simply "register," but that is not a requirement), it doesn't need formal
articles of incorporation or bylaws, it has more limited recordkeeping and
reporting requirements, etc.

Greg