[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: Draft Agenda & Papers - WP1 Meeting #22 (28 July at 19h UTC)

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 16:00:21 UTC 2015

I don't think we need the language kindly recommended by Erika.  We are
already proposing a "process" that will be "in place if the final budget is
not approved prior to the beginning of the year", in paragraph 06:

If the exercise of this power leads to no budget being in place at the
> start of a new financial year, a caretaker budget struck at the same level
> as the previous year’s budget will apply, to allow for continued operation
> of ICANN or of the IANA functions while the budget disagreement is resolved.

​Thus, the first sentence is moot.  The last sentence seems not to be
on-topic -- we have not brought up the issue of internal controls, and we
have no idea whether a late approval of the budget will have any effect on
internal controls.​

If we want, we can add a sentence after the above, stating: "This is
consistent with the "best practice" that a process is in place in the event
a final budget is not approved prior to the beginning of the fiscal year."
 I think this may comfort some readers, but it is not strictly necessary.

Greg