[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] Revised draft - Voting weights in community mechanism

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Wed Jul 29 09:38:57 UTC 2015

Hi Chris, All,

Another very good example of scenario, so I Cc Hillary.

Le 29/07/2015 07:24, Chris Disspain a écrit :
> However, we should also be very clear that the community powers we are
> considering putting in place will also provide the power to block
> policy arising from one of the SOs especially where the policy
> concerned requires there to be a by-law change. The GNSO could
> complete a PDP and recommend POLICY X and the Board decide to proceed
> to change the by-laws BUT all of that would be trumped if the by-law
> change were blocked by 'the community'. And whether the GNSO could
> ‘block' the block depends entirely on the voting thresholds we put in
> place. So, for example, with 20 votes and 75% required to vote to
> block, the gNSO cannot, alone, block the block.
As you rightly point out Chris, two cumulative conditions are needed for
a gNSO policy proposal to get blocked with the new powers :
1) that the policy proposal requires a Bylaw change
2) (in the scenario described earlier) that 2/3 of the community reject
the Bylaw change. In the scenario you described (4x5 votes), that means
14 votes against out of 20, while 5 votes come from the gNSO.

Once again, it's useful (but subjective) to ask whether that's a useful
safeguard or an undue interference with the policy making role of the gNSO.

--
Mathieu WEILL
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Twitter : @mathieuweill