[CCWG-ACCT] [WP1] Revised draft - Voting weights in community mechanism

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Wed Jul 29 12:38:08 UTC 2015

Hi Mathieu,

> 1) that the policy proposal requires a Bylaw change

Acknowledged. Or, the adoption of the policy might require some by-law changes in order for implementation to be carried out. This has the same effect I think.

> 2) (in the scenario described earlier) that 2/3 of the community reject the Bylaw change. In the scenario you described (4x5 votes), that means 14 votes against out of 20, while 5 votes come from the gNSO.

Yes. Your 2/3 example makes it easier to block the by-law change not harder. In other words all 5 GNSO votes could vote against blocking the by-law change and 1 vote from the ccNSO could also vote against blocking the by-law change but the by-law change would still be blocked.

> Once again, it's useful (but subjective) to ask whether that's a useful safeguard or an undue interference with the policy making role of the gNSO.

Well, here I am prepared to express an opinion. The ccNSO policy by-law is clearly written and sets out the basis upon which ccNSO policy can be dealt with by the Board. There is a requirement for the ccNSO to involve the other relevant ICANN bodies in its policy making. The idea that the extremely narrow band of global policies for ccTLDs that may be undertaken by the ccNSO in accordance with the carefully crafted and politically balanced methodologies that have been created could, in essence, be blocked by other SOs and ACs is totally unacceptable to auDA and I suspect would be unacceptable to a number of my ccTLD colleagues.

Cheers,

Chris