[CCWG-ACCT] Voting weights in community mechanism

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:16:39 UTC 2015

This is a complete misreading of my statement and my views in many
different ways.  There was nothing personal in it.  I have the highest
regard for Ed.  That said, I was and remain baffled at the litany of what I
saw (and see) as largely unsupported and far-fetched allegations regarding
the consequences of particular voting rights.  Coming at the last second
when they could have been made for months, it seemed to me that this was as
much an attempt to simply de-rail things as it was to make any specific
points.  It's good to know that the objections (even if misplaced) were
entirely sincere.

If this was read in any way as ad hominem and or ad personam I apologize
for that.  But that was not my intention.  To insinuate that this was
"cyber bullying" is misplaced, and may even do what it states it abhors.
As a matter of fact, there is far more in the way of direct personal
accusations and attacks in this latest response than could possibly be read
into my email.  Indeed the second paragraph of the email is nothing but a
personal attack.  I questioned only the motive of a single email, not the
general integrity of the writes -- in response I am accused of
cyber-bullying and a "continuing propensity to question the motives and
good faith of others."  To pigeonhole me as a "representative of
intellectual property interests" and to contrast that with interests in
making both ICANN and the world a better place is a gross
mischaracterization of my values and viewpoints.  I share those concerns
deeply and resent being pigeonholed.

I look forward to future discussions with my esteemed colleague and hope
that they will stick to substance and finding mutual ways forward.

Finally, I bear no grudges in this Working Group (though that has proved
difficult in one case), and particularly not against Ed.

Greg