[CCWG-ACCT] Human rights - way forward

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Fri Jul 31 17:08:50 UTC 2015

Dear Co-Chairs,

I remember from my student days In Germany (and Thomas knows what Fachschaft means) that when there were conflicting proposals the more "extensive" one was voted on first. If accepted that was it otherwise the next "lesser" one was voted upon and so on until one (or of course none) was accepted.

I wonder if an approach like this would be helpful when trying to find consensus on the Human Rights language, rather than choosing between different ones.

el

--
Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini

> On Jul 31, 2015, at 12:49, Mathieu Weill <mathieu.weill at afnic.fr> wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> As announced during our last call, the co-Chairs have reviewed where we are on this issue. Our group is tasked to work on the basis of consensus, and we have focused on assessing where this condition was met.
>
> It is our conclusion that :
> 1) our group has achieved consensus on including a human rights related Commitment in Icann's Bylaws.
> 2) no particular wording currently proposed achieved consensus.
>
> As a consequence, we propose to include into the public comment 2 report (in the Mission & Core value section, a draft is included below)
> - this assessment and a firm commitment to add a human rights related Commitment into Icann's Bylaws,
> - the underlying requirements expressed during the debate,
> - the concrete language proposals that were considered by our group so far, as examples
>
> Finally, given the strong momentum on the issue, both during the meeting and on list before and after, and taking into account the high level of complexity involved, we suggest to kick off ASAP a subgroup to further refine the requirements and assess potential options based on further studies of the current situation and "agreed-on" language.
>
> We thank you all for your understanding and commitment on this topic, as well as the extensive discussions both on list and during the calls about this.
>
> As a reminder, Minority statements filed until Saturday 12.00 UTC will be incorporated into the report to be published on Monday. Statements filed after this deadline will be published online but not incorporated into the report.
>
> Best regards,
> Leon, Thomas & Mathieu
> Co-chairs
[...]