[CCWG-ACCT] are we covered on oversight on board decisions wrt IFR recommendations

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Fri Jul 31 19:50:17 UTC 2015

It has been suggested that our proposal is missing an important element (see below):

But what is missing from the CCWG draft (and specifically the community powers section) is the empowerment of the community to exercise oversight of ICANN board decisions with respect to recommendations resulting from an IFR, as identified below.

From the transition proposal (pg 40), released by the ICG today [1]:

2. Community Empowerment Mechanisms. The empowerment of the multistakeholder community to have the following rights with respect to the ICANN Board, the exercise of which should be ensured by the related creation of a stakeholder community / member group:
(a) The ability to appoint and remove members of the ICANN Board and to recall the entire ICANN Board;
(b) The ability to exercise oversight with respect to key ICANN Board decisions (including with respect to the ICANN Board’s oversight of the IANA functions) by reviewing and approving (i) ICANN Board decisions with respect to recommendations resulting from an IFR or Special IFR and (ii) the ICANN budget; and
(c) The ability to approve amendments to ICANN’s “fundamental bylaws,” as described below.

[1] https://www.ianacg.org/icg-files/documents/IANA-stewardship-transition-proposal-EN.pdf

Is this right?  Is this covered in our report?  I don't see it, but in the flurry of documents may not be looking at the right ones.

Thanks,
Robin