[CCWG-ACCT] Human rights - way forward

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Fri Jul 31 22:19:21 UTC 2015

+1 re thanks for the approach from the co-chairs, to Keith's qualification,
to Paul's misgivings...

and I do not volunteer to participate on the subgroup, but I would like to
be on the email list to see the conversation and learn more about the issue.

Jordan

On 1 August 2015 at 05:15, Malcolm Hutty <malcolm at linx.net> wrote:

> I share Paul's misgivings and support Keith's proposed qualification. And
> volunteer for the subgroup.
>
> Malcolm.
>

> > On 31 Jul 2015, at 18:01, Paul Twomey <paul.twomey at argopacific.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> > I am sympathetic to the general thrust of the discussion, but I am
> DEEPLY worried about anything which makes ICANN look like a place were
> definitions of Human Rights and their application is discussed.   Knowing
> how poisonous and constantly aggravating this is in the UN system, we may
> end up inadvertently attracting a whole new set of diplomats into the GAC
> which will risk GAC turning into a very divisive force in the ICANN
> structure.   (Even in the UN, the Human Rights battles have resulted in one
> UN entity being dismantled (almost unheard of in UN history) and another
> established)  We really do not want to go down that path.   So keeping
> within Mission and being very specific as to how some clear rights may
> apply to specific things ICANN does (eg freedom of expression in gtld
> string applications) will be useful.
> >
> > Paul
> >
> >> On 8/1/15 2:38 AM, James Gannon wrote:
> >> I second Robins support.
> >>
> >> -James

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *