[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG - Final clean of mission and core values from Becky

Grace Abuhamad grace.abuhamad at icann.org
Fri Jul 31 23:54:51 UTC 2015

Thank you Greg. The change has been incorporated into the final freeze
version.

Best,
Grace

From:  <accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Greg
Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
Date:  Friday, July 31, 2015 at 2:43 PM
To:  Keith Drazek <kdrazek at verisign.com>
Cc:  Accountability Cross Community
<accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
Subject:  Re: [CCWG-ACCT] CCWG - Final clean of mission and core values from
Becky

I think it's inaccurate to refer to the HR text proposed a few hours ago as
"agreed to."  For the avoidance of doubt, I am repeating my change to this
text (proposed in another thread), in this thread as well:

==========================

There is one element in the newly proposed additional text which really must
be changed.  It is the list of "requirements," being presented as if these
are agreed text:

These discussions identified the following, non-exhaustive, list of
accountability-related requirements :
- the NTIA criteria to maintain the openness of the Internet, including free
expression and the free flow of information
- the need to avoid extending Icann's mission into content regulation
- the importance of assessing the impact of Icann policies on Human rights

There was no agreement or consensus that these are "requirements."  They are
reasons offered during the discussions by those who wanted language (or
particular language) included.  I do not object to the first (because it's a
statement of fact, and presented as such, and is not being used as an
argument for particular text (to which I object)) or the third (because I
agree with it, and it does not exclude other types of impact assessment).

However, I have to object to the second "requirement."  I've only seen this
mentioned by one or two people and it has not even been seriously discussed
on the list or on any call in relation to the Human Rights commitment.  More
to the point, I do not think that this point is a reason why we should have
Human Rights language in the Bylaws and I object to the linkage being
enshrined in this document.  There are types of content control that clearly
implicate Human Rights concerns and others that do not (indeed there are
those that are consistent with and uphold fundamental Human Rights).
ICANN's relationship to "content regulation" is not per se a Human Rights
issue.

If we had time, I might make a broad demand regarding this section, which
would be followed by discussion and most likely a compromise.  Since we
don't have time, I will start with the compromise, which removes no text
(even text I disagree with).  It simply revises the introduction so there is
no implication that this is an agreed list of "requirements":

In these discussions, some participants raised the following as
accountability-related reasons for including a commitment to fundamental
Human Rights in the Bylaws: :

I can live with this in the text without further comment.  Please make this
change.  Thank you.

Greg