[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at actonline.org
Mon Jun 1 01:08:15 UTC 2015

Folks,
I’m sure if we think about it for just a second, we can all agree that anyone’s recollections (whatever their tenure or status in the community) about the past intentions, motives and actions of the board, the community or some interest group, are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. The exercise in which we are engaged involves imaging the worst of these things and attempting to put structures in place to mitigate the consequences should the unfortunate occur. Let’s stop returning to this TOTALLY USELESS discussion of track records and good intentions and stay on task. If you believe the community can do no wrong and the board represents a machiavellian force of darkness that needs to be throttled, you’re in entitled to your opinion. Just take it someplace else. If you believe the community is just a rag tag collection of special interest groups with political motives and  that the board should receive a medal, I hereby validate your opinion as well. Now take it someplace else. This is decidedly NOT the conversation we are trying to have here. Every time it comes up, it sends us down a ridiculous path and ends badly.

So here’s my proposal:

  1.  If you are drafting a post to the list and it begins to sound like either an accusation or defense of the board, the community or some SO or AC, PLEASE STOP TYPING. Back way from the PC, go for a walk, come back and post something that is helpful to the discussion.
  2.  If you spot a post that slips through that reads like either an accusation or defense of the board, the community or some SO or AC, DON’T TAKE THE BAIT. Count to 10, call your therapist, do whatever you must, but LET IT GO.

That is all. Henceforth, I will flag all such posts as overt attempts to derail this process of developing an effective accountability framework for ICANN because there can be no other explanation for their continued existence.  If you find yourself writing something like “in all my years,” “it’s been my experience,” or “I don’t recall” stop typing immediately and think about the useless debate you are about to start or continue.

This is NOT about the current board, the current community or anyone’s intentions or motives. It’s about a post IANA contract world in which ICANN needs effective accountability to the community. That’s it. It’s not personal. Let’s get back to work. Thank you.

Jonathan

Jonathan Zuck
President
202-331-2130 X 101 | jzuck at actonline.org<mailto:jzuck at actonline.org> | Skype: jvzuck