[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Jonathan Zuck JZuck at actonline.org
Mon Jun 1 11:14:58 UTC 2015

This response represents a clear violation of international law and should be subject to binding mediation. ;)

Edward, thanks for your thoughtful reply and generally I’m in agreement with the sentiment. I will submit, in less ranting form, that the way in which these particular conversations have taken place has been of zero probative value. First, they come up as vague passive aggressive references which draw vague overarching defensiveness which in turn inspire even more vague and ominous sounding statements lobbed over the transom. It’s the conversation that no one really wants to have but they accidentally lose their balance and end up there. You mention it hardened your belief in the importance of enforceability. I would argue there is objectively no accountability without enforceability so we don’t need a vague emotional discussion to get there. It’s simply a fact.

If the board or community wants to schedule a “grievance” session in BA to open a discussion about why there is mistrust back and forth, they are welcome to do so, and I would be happy to participate. I have mentioned many times at ICANN meetings that the community is responsible for putting too many substantive decisions in front of the board due to their failure to compromise and reach consensus. That said, true accountability cannot be built on trust so it’s existence or lack thereof is truly irrelevant. Dr. Lisse has argued that if there was better trust, this discussion would not be necessary and I wholeheartedly disagree.

So I stand by my outburst but otherwise join you in slogging through the chaff to find the wheat.
Jonathan