[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jun 1 14:24:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 01-Jun-15 06:24, Edward Morris wrote:
> We all have different background and pet peeves. Jonathan's appears to
> be in the area of Board - Community history / mistrust. Some of these
> discussions have actually hardened my belief that we need the strong
> enforcement provisions provided by membership: if feelings are this
> strong less concrete enforcement mechanisms simply won't work. In that
> way these discussions have been valuable to me. My pet peeve are the
> many posts by those who don't understand basic legal principles,
> concepts or definitions, resulting in questions that are innane and
> conclusions that are inaccurate and harmful to our progress. Yet I
> would never ask people not to post such ill conceived ideas because
> every so often in the midst of the their garbage there is a gem I
> hadn't considered. That is truly valuable.

Do you mean like my strong belief that having a better chance in court
when suing (something we have not done but could have) is _not_ a valid
reason for creating all of the organizational upheaval required for
membership.

Or my belief that by creating these membership organizations we do not
solve the accountability problem but compartmentalize it, so that we
need to insure the accountabilty of all of the independent UAs instead
of ICANN as an overall entity.  Membership moves the problem from
accountabity of one ICANN to the accountabilty of the many UA.  We move
the problem of accountability to a space which is historically not very
transparent in its bottom-up mechanisms.

I think we have seen that the community can already mobilize to affect
the Board when needed (apologies for resorting to history). Adding
mechanisms like Board member removal, improved RR and IRP, can only make
that better.  We have close to no experience in insuring that
constituencies, stakeholder groups, RALOs, ACs or SOs are accountable to
their members (again apologies for resorting to history).

Happy to still be able to proffer potential garbage on this list.

avri

---