[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:58:13 UTC 2015

If we are relying on the Board, but have no recourse if that reliance is
misplaced, then it is no longer a power.  It is instead a dispensation at
the pleasure of the Board.

Indeed, these powers (particularly the power to approve/veto a budget or
strategic plan) may not even be valid in the absence of a member set-up,
since we are seeking to trump the Board's judgment and even their exercise
of fiduciary duty.  This is far more realistic in a membership non-profit,
for the following reason.

Membership fundamentally changes the "shape" of a nonprofit corporation. A
member nonprofit must be accountable to its members in a way that simply
does not exist without members.​  The Board of a membership nonprofit board
owes a fiduciary duty (among other duties) to its membership as well as to
the corporation.  As I understand it, this is a fundamental basis for the
reason that members are given the exceptional powers they have, and that
are not given to other participants in or beneficiaries of a nonprofit
corporation.

Greg