[CCWG-ACCT] [Acct-Legal] Memo - Revised Powers Chart, Voluntary Model

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Sun Jun 14 21:22:57 UTC 2015

Members have the right to bring a “derivative action” (an action on behalf of the corporation) for breach of the charitable trust.  A breach of charitable trust is essentially the equivalent of the a breach of  “fiduciary duty”  in the non-profit setting.

I believe Chris and others have two questions:

  1.  What does a breach of charitable trust encompass – i.e., how broad or narrow does it apply?
  2.  To what extent can the community control the manner in which claims for breach of charitable trust is pursued, i.e., can you require a majority of members to support such an action, can you/under what circumstances can you require a member to pursue such claims in a particular forum such as the IRP?

Some people are concerned that  if the cause of action is very broad and/or if there are no constraints on the circumstances under which a member can bring such a claim or the venue in which a member can bring a claim, this cause of action in particular creates an incentive to litigate/delay/block consensus.

Others believe that these concerns can be effectively addressed and that because the ICANN Board will comply with its legal requirements, enforceability reduced the likelihood of litigation.

Still others seem concerned about any attempts to limit access to a court of competent jurisdiction, wherever that may be.

We need to agree on the facts first, make sure that all stakeholders have access to those facts, and then determine what the multistakeholder community wants based on those facts.

There is a lot of posturing and rhetoric going on – indeed I have been guilty of it.  Let’s try to step back and get agreement on the answers to the two questions.

Becky

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  / becky.burr at neustar.biz<mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz> / www.neustar.biz