[CCWG-ACCT] Townhall meeting follow-up

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Jun 22 20:06:43 UTC 2015

Some quick thoughts in line below:

On 22 June 2015 at 16:41, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jordan,
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Seun, all:
>>
>> On 22/06/2015, at 3:55 pm, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Kavouss,
>>
>> While i agree that its good we get further clarity on the "Empowered
>> SO/AC model", i think we have the overall high level characteristics of the
>> model and it may be good to consider other-ways to "enforceability" other
>> than formalising the SO/AC as well.
>>

>> I think the advice we have received is that designator approach in the
>> legal sense could allow for enforcement of 4/6 powers, membership approach
>> 6/6, and voluntary approach 0/6.
>>

> This is a useful comparison Jordan and i think we need to strike some
> distinction on the type of enforcement. I will assume what was considered
> above is direct enforcement from the community, there is also the direct
> enforcement by the bylaw (which would have been put in place by the
> community).

I don't think it is accurate to describe "just follow the bylaws" as
enforcement - not because Board members don't try, and aren't obliged, to
follow the bylaws. They definitely are required to do that and are obliged
to as a matter of fiduciary duty to follow the law and uphold the
organisation's mission.

The question is, what can be done if they don't - individually or
collectively. That's why it's being called "voluntary" - nobody has the
right to hold the Board or its members to account for not following the
bylaws. By hold them to account I mean the ability to require them to do
so. So without that ability, it's a matter of good will.

> If we look at enforcement as board members complying with the organisation
> bylaw then the current score of the so-called "voluntary approach" could
> change significantly. I call it so-called voluntary approach because i
> think its in practice beyond voluntary for board members. Their accepting
> to be board members should technically mean they are bound to abide by the
> organisation bylaw.

The voluntary model does *not* refer to whether it's an optional extra to
follow the bylaws. Directors are for sure required to do that, as I noted
above. They *are* bound by the bylaws.

>> For designator or member you need some kind of “legal person”.
>>

> On the designator option i think there may be need to re-question the
> legal team on this. ARIN recently received some legal advice on possibility
> of NRO becoming a designate/member within ICANN[1] and it does seem an
> interesting read. I quote the specific section below:

The memo you refer to below is an interesting read, but it tells you that
the NRO is an unincorporated association. So that's in support of my point.

> "Designators are simply those parties provided in a corporation’s articles
>> or bylaws as having the power to appoint some or all of the corporation’s
>> directors"
>>

> So i don't really understand the idea of "legal person" requirement as
> indicated by the ccwg legal team, perhaps they need to clarify.

It comes back to what I said above: without being a legal person, they
can't enforce their right to appoint or remove said Director if the person
in place refuses to play by the rules.

> That said, this is not to indicate a preference at the moment but to
> ensure we get clarity on what is possible and what isn't in all these models

Helpful in that respect.

And happy to note Alan's correction in the subsequent message, that his
model of pre-committed resignations does leave the Board Director removal
power on the table (so 1 or 2/6).

cheers,
Jordan

>> If there are other paths to enforceability I would be interested to know
>> what they are - does anybody know of any?
>>

>> I for one like the empowered SO/AC model as its really an improvement to
>> the full membership model and less complicated (seem to be an advanced
>> designator model). Nevertheless there is still the reality that its a
>> members model and there are cons associated with this and it may be good to
>> put them side by side with the current "voluntary model" that operates an
>> "Empowered bylaw" post-transition  (yeah empowered seem to be the buzz word
>> lately ;-) )
>>

>> This is a beast I have never heard of, an empowered bylaw :-)
>>

> Actually that is me giving a funky title to the ccwg proposed bylaw
> changes as i see it as enhancement of community engagement in ICANN board
> decision making process.
>
> Regards
> 1.
> https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/ARIN-Memo-re-NRO-Status-as-an-Unincorporated-Association.pdf

>> Regards
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Kavouss Arasteh <
>> kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> First of all ,let us wait for a clear way forward to be on the Table be
>>> fore our next meeting on Wednesday
>>> Secondly, if we clearly distinguish between rights to participate to
>>> voting of any or all of the six/seven powers as well as  issues relying to
>>> IRP FROM issue of empowerment ,requiring membership ( at least one member
>>> to have a stand for enforce certain decisions /conclusion made through
>>> voting ,many questions would be narrowed down to fewer numbers .
>>> Pls kindly advise on that
>>> Kavouss

>> --
>>

>> *Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:
>>   http://www.fuoye.edu.ng <http://www.fuoye.edu.ng/>Mobile: +2348035233535**alt
>> email:  <http://goog_1872880453/>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
>> <seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*
>>
>> The key to understanding is humility - my view !

> --
>

> *Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:
> http://www.fuoye.edu.ng <http://www.fuoye.edu.ng> Mobile: +2348035233535**alt
> email: <http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
> <seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*
>
> The key to understanding is humility - my view !

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *